Monday, October 15, 2007

walking to school in this day and age

you lived outside some mythical line which didn't allow you to ride the school bus to school. I can relate to this, way back in the late 60's early 70's I had a walk of about a mile and a half to school and not once did I arrive late or commit any type of crime on the way there.
While I did have some sidewalks along the way in some areas I actually had to walk on the front lawns of homeowners in the neighborhood(imagine that).
Yes there are more vehicles on the roads today, however as a young boy I faced the same dangers as many of toadys young people, but have we taken it to far??
In my travels in my business some times I follow school buses which stop at the end of every driveway to pick someone up no matter how close these driveways are to each other. I can remember in H/S walking about a half mile to the end of the street to catch the bus. This was basically a community stop since there were about 9 of us that were picked up and everyone of us lived at least a half mile or more away.
Have we become so protective that we can't let children out of our site even though the same problems exist now as they did 30 years ago?!
I applaud the efforts of those individuals which stepped up to help provide for this young girl, imagine they done this out of charity without the dictates of government forcing it.

No comments: